Your smile is crucial for making a memorable first impression on people. According to a survey conducted by Kelton Global for the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 48% of adult respondents stated that a person’s smile is the most memorable feature after the first meeting.
If you are not satisfied with the appearance of your teeth, have crowding, minor bite issues, or large gaps between your teeth, we have good news for you: Invisalign aligners are a reliable system for teeth alignment. In many cases, it is a full alternative to traditional braces. Read on to learn more about the invisible orthodontic system.
Who and When Created Invisalign
Invisalign aligners were created 25 years ago by Align Technology. They are made from patented clear SmartTrack polycarbonate, so they are entirely unnoticeable to others. Invisalign has no metal wires and brackets; instead, they consist of aligner trays created from 3D scans of the patient’s teeth. This makes them easy to put on and remove. This is a crucial difference from braces because removable aligners do not restrict your diet and do not cause extra difficulties during oral hygiene.
Furthermore, aligners fit tightly to the teeth and do not cause cuts or discomfort, which patients with braces may sometimes experience.
How Do Teeth Alignment Aligners Work?
Similar to traditional braces, aligners gently exert pressure on the teeth to gradually align them. Teeth move to the desired positions with approximately 0.2-0.3mm movement with each new set of aligners.
To establish these orthodontic systems, you need only one or two visits to the orthodontist.
At Yarema Dental Clinic in Kiev, the entire process looks like this:
- Our orthodontist will create a 3D image of your mouth using digital scanning. This allows for a detailed analysis of the teeth’s condition and the formulation of a plan for individual orthodontic treatment.
- Depending on the complexity of each specific case, the patient will be offered a series of aligners, ranging from 12 to 48, on average.
- Then, the aligners are fabricated, and the patient receives them from their orthodontist. Also, if necessary, the patient is given a set of “test” teeth aligners to allow the oral cavity to adjust before starting the alignment process with actual aligners.
- Each set of aligners is worn for approximately two weeks. The duration of treatment depends on the patient’s individual characteristics, but the course typically lasts from 6 to 18 months on average.
- After completing the treatment course with aligners, it is advisable to use retainers for approximately 6 months to maintain the achieved result.
How to Care for Aligners?
Caring for aligners is quite simple. Notably, they should be removed every time before brushing teeth, eating, or drinking. This is especially important for hot beverages because the material from which these caps are made is quite sensitive to high temperatures.
To clean aligner caps, you should:
- Rinse them with water
- Clean them with a soft-bristle toothbrush and liquid soap
- Store them in a protective case when not in use
- For more thorough cleaning, there are special accessories and effervescent tablets
As of today, over 12.8 million people worldwide have improved their teeth and smiles using aligners. This is an effective orthodontic system. It has its advantages, as mentioned in this material, as well as disadvantages compared to metal braces. In particular, aligners, unlike braces, are effective in correcting minor orthodontic issues.
If you are interested in this method of orthodontic treatment and want to learn more, please contact the specialists at Yarema Dental in Kiev. We will be happy to provide advice and do everything we can to make your smile shine again.